Monday, February 9, 2009

Is Sextrology Sexist?

Most astrology guides just say a lot of generic positive things that could really apply to anyone. This is not the case with Sextrology. As the title suggests, signs are broken down by gender and examined accordingly.

I am a Virgo and I’ve never felt entirely at home in the House of the Virgin as Virgos are commonly summed up as “perfectionists” which anyone who knows me, will know that a perfectionist, I am not. Well as I revisit Sextrology the more convinced I become that I am, in fact a Virgo—but as convinced as I am, a large part of me was always a little disappointed because I always felt that my astrological house limited my potential as a creativity entity, as Virgos are described as the “empty vessel” taking on whatever roles the people around us need to be filled, and as people determined to service and other (what I always found) to be kind of demeaning roles. In each section, there are a number of random facts about each sign, including famous people who share your sign. There are a few cool Virgo women, but for the most part they are lackluster. I had some free time this morning so for fun I skimmed the Virgo Man section. What a fucking rip-off. All of this time I felt like I was inherently disconnected from my creativity by fate of my astrological house, horrifyingly enough I had begun to resign myself to being ultimately, creatively useless. Then I see the outstanding Virgo men, just to name a few: John Cage, BB King, Otis Redding, William Carlos Williams, John Locke, Theodore Dreiser, Jorge Luis Borges, Itzhak Perlman, Tim Burton, Elvis Costello, Louis CK (see how I snuck that last one in there?). I mean jesus christ these are just the ones I remembered from glancing at the list this morning. John fucking Cage. I was so outraged that I had spent so much time preparing myself to be a vacant shell of a person in large part because I thought I had no choice in the matter, it is what the Cosmos had decided for me. The fact that I’d let what a stupid astrology book says forfeit any creative pursuit I had hoped for is another case entirely, but still. I realize that Sextrology looks at astrology from gendered perspectives, but it is these kinds of gendered ideologies that made me feel so worthless. Now I have to add this to a growing list of reasons why it sucks to be a woman.

*Please note, all of this happened before 9am so now I’m already emotionally exhausted. I realize there are a lot of things still to be said about this but its monday morning and I'm not up for it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Eileen, let me assure you that you are more than just one measly astrological sign. We are all a combination of many things, as diverse as our fingerprint or our DNA. Furthermore, I'm sorry that virgos get the bad rap. They usually do.

Having met the authors myself, let me assure you they are far from (purposefully) sexist. They are probably just plain ol' virgo-ists.

Give me your birth time and we will determine what other magnificent planets affect your daily life.

Best wishes,

OKD

Unknown said...

I came across your website looking for people who felt dissed and spontaneously lame-ified by the usual virgo blather.

My charming libra 'friend' once brought out the Sextrology book at a MOST inappropriate time in my life (minutes after I'd been informed of a death in the family) to regale me (to her own delight and self assuredness) about how much their unflattering description of virgo fit me, down to my body type, and the way I walk. At the time I had no belief in astrology.

Along with being fucking PISSED at her insensitivity, I felt really bothered by the words she'd read, because a lot of the information in the book does seem spot on for some people, but that damn virgo description didn't leave any room for me to have the awesomeness I thought I did (especially not compared to the fantastic libra *eye roll*).

I did a chart online a year later that made me feel better because it left space for me to be an artsy space-cadet fluff lover who never can keep anything organized for the life of her.

I guess I'll just never resonate with the usual virgo-bash. It disheartens me because I sometimes think about reading that Sextrology book again, but I know it will just make me feel lame again.

Anyhow, point is, here to ignoring box-creating-generalizations.