Monday, February 9, 2009

Anne's Monthly Post

Hey, Buddy, I wouldn't worry too much about what happened when you met Louis CK. I'm sure celebrities love to talk about other celebrities when people are lining up to meet them.

I don't know enough about astrology, I've always wondered if I would come to better know myself if I had a more firm understanding of what it means to be a Gemini. Any little nuggets of truth (sorry for the really gross expression) that you could share?

Anyway, as you have frequently pointed out over the past couple of weeks, I am very bad at posting on this thing. I would promise to be better, yet again, but we both know that would be an empty promise. Instead, I'll just tell you about my weekend.

I skipped a very important conference about student leadership so I could go to an art gallery (Where are my priorities?!). Most of the work on display there was amazing. But, remember when you told me that you tried to learn about abstract art by making abstract art, and you failed miserably? I think I saw a few pieces that greatly resembled your paintings, so I think you should work on putting together an Eileen Cataldo retrospective. It's not like I don't appreciate shape and color in and of themselves, I do. And it's not that I am a stickler for realism, because I'm really not. I just don't understand what a few pieces of died black rope glued to the wall in a remarkably unpleasing pattern has to do with the fusion of painting and sculpture. I also think pre-Enlightenment portraits of children who look exactly like small adults who wear baby clothes are really creepy.

I also saw the Korean movie "Tale of Two Sisters." It was the inspiration for "The Uninvited," but without that woman's bad hair. It was also without a clear plot, but as Rachel pointed out, that was just to make you identify more with the main character, who had no idea what the fuck was going on most of the time. I think you should see "Tale of Two Sisters," in part because it was amazing, but also because everyone had great hair.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, Anne, those scraps of rope were coated in graphite. And according to the artist, that piece is supposed to be a 3d representation of drawing on a wall. Too bad it turned out so ugly.

I know I told you I wouldn't tell you what I thought of your blog if I read it. So I won't.

Leen said...

Jeez Anne, way to be an idiot. When I read your post I suspected that it was a 3D representation of a drawing on a wall. Like that 3D shoe I drew out of wire and gave to you. Wait, did you not like that either?!