Sunday, February 15, 2009

if you tell a joke, and no one is around to hear it, can you still laugh?

I am a very funny person. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Unfortunately because you are so far away most of the time, and I don't get to see TC nearly enough, I'm the only one who really appreciates just how funny I am. The people in the office where I work are nice enough, but they are all so much older than me, they just think I'm a "weird young person," and I don't know that many people on campus, so most of the time I'm alone thinking how funny I am to myself. Surprisingly, life has become really boring for me, so to try and spice things up, I try and think of little things I can do each day to amuse myself. One of my favorites is to deliberately confuse at least two people a day. 

Last night I was at work (just imagine any small, generic, retail store) and while the people I work with are nice, they are...simple. And whenever I'm there with just the manager I get this feeling of something dark crushing my soul. So, anyway, last night there were a couple of people working, so it wasn't too bad. And I was standing near the manager, "watching the floor" and Torn came on the radio and I (understandably) got really excited. I could tell that the manager was ignoring me, and was going to keep ignoring me unless I suddenly grabbed a bunch of merchandise and walked out of the store. So I went into a long speech about Torn and Natalie Imbruglia, "Did you know this song was actually a cover? Yeah- it was recorded in 1993 by Ednaswap. I wonder if they got upset because her version was such a massive success. I wonder if they think about Natalie Imbruglia a lot. I hope they have a group of loyal fans who support them no matter what. I bet Ednaswap fans HATE Natalie Imbruglia, even if the band members themselves don't. I wonder what happened to Natalie Imbruglia? I think her contract with L'Oreal lapsed a while ago. I mean I know she married Daniel Johns, who is the lead singer of Silverchair. I hope they are still married. What if they have kids? I bet their kids would be adorable. I wish they were my parents, they'd be the cool parents, unless they smell like pachouli " and on and on until eventually my manager just looked at me like I was retarded and walked away. Then someone else I work who hadn't heard any of this walked over and I just launched into the exact same speech. After I had finished I  thought this whole situation was so hilarious I promptly started laughing uncontrollably.