Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Honest, Abe? Vampires?

I learned a fun new fact today. For many years now, I have believed that epistolary novels have to be written as a series of letters. However, as some of you may know, epistolary novels can be written in the form of any collection of documents, be they letters, journal entries, newspaper clippings, or any other document that strikes your fancy. Thinking back about epistolary novels that I have read in the past (Dracula, for one. How appropriate!), I should have known this... but I am not the sharpest tool in the shed so it was news to me! Anyway, apparently I read an epistolary novel this week without knowing it at the time. That novel was none other than Seth Grahame-Smith's Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.


This book has gotten some mixed reviews. Apparently the novelty of mixing classic literature (or in this case, a well know historical biography) with spooky scary monsters is getting a little old. I did not read Grahame-Smith's other books (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters), so the concept is still relatively fresh to my simple mind. I found that I was really taken in by the story, as straight-forward and outrageous as it was. This book had it all. It was legitimately scary at parts, and there was a lot more gore than your average historical biography. I laughed, I (almost but not really) cried, I felt my pulse race. Grahame-Smith was able to make the ridiculousness of vampires fit seamlessly into Lincoln's life story. Almost every tragedy that befell the man was attributed to vampires, and in the reality of the novel it seemed to make complete sense.

One thing that I did not like about the book was that slavery's hold on the South was blamed onvampires. In the wake of Bob McDonnell's declaration of Confederate History Month in Virginia, I found this a little hard to stomach. As ridiculous as it is to put the blame on vampires, I think that it's important for people to acknowledge the reality of the past. Looking back at the institution of slavery and denying that it was something that the vast majority of white Americans had a role in perpetuating is a way of glossing over past injustices. It's a way of denying the history of racism in America. So even though it is obviously absurd to allege that American slavery was as firmly ingrained in society as it was because it served the "Southern vampire interests," that aspect of the plot still made me a little uneasy.

Overall, the book is about what you would expect from something called Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter. It's funny, ridiculous, and at times pretty scary. I was surprised to find that I cared a lot more about Abe, and even the secondary characters, than I thought I would. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who is into vampires, the Civil War, historical biographies, or some bizarre combination of the three (i.e. I would recommend this book to someone who is exactly like me). Especially if you're not tired of Grahame-Smith's gimmick.

Also, Tim Burton is going to make the film version of this book. I think if he handles it like he didSleepy Hollow, it will be amazing. Just in case anyone important reads this: Johnny Depp is not tall enough to play Abraham Lincoln.* I don't care how much movie magic you use.


*Update: I have been up all night agonizing over where I got this joke from. As Leen pointed out, it's actually funny. I finally remembered that I got the Johnny Depp being short idea from this review at Film School Rejects. They are excited about Abe Lincoln in platform shoes. I am not. Just wanted to stay honest.

No comments: